Thursday, August 19, 2010

Christmas Bread trial

So mom gave me her Gooseberry Patch Country Baking book and I am on a quest to make some different breads to try fro Christmas gifts.
Here is the first one I tried:
Cherry-Chip bread
2C all purpose flour
1C sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
1/4 c margarine
3/4c water
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c marashion cherries, drained and chopped (about a small jar)
1/2c mini-chocolate chips

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in margarine until particles are the size of coarse meal. Stir in water and egg. Fold in cherries and chips and pour into a lightly oiled 9"x5" pan (I used a bread pan). Bake at 350 for 50-60 min. Cool in pan for 10 min then removed from pan and cool completly on wire rack

I thought this was really good. I enjoyed the flavor and it had the slight seasonal flavor of Chocolate covered cherries. I think I only quartered the cherries and next time will make them into smaller pieces.

My plan this weekend is to try this one also
*Peanut Butter Bread
3/4 c sugar
1/2c panut butter
1 t vanilla extract
1 3/4 c milk
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

in large bowl blend together sugar, PB and vanilla. Gradually stir in milk; mix well. Sift tog. flour, baking powder and salt; add to PB mix. Put in greased loaf pan for 45-50 min at 350.
I'll post after I make this and see how it is. It would prob. be good w/ chocolate chips also.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cherry bread recipe looks yummy! I look forward to your review of the peanut butter one too. Thanks for sharing the recipes!!

Anonymous said...

These both sound good. My crew would love the peanut butter bread.

Luludou said...

The cherry bread would be sure to be eaten here.
I love your blog with the pirates!