Saturday, September 18, 2010

Baking on a Saturday

I like to bake however I often am quite the mess when I do bake. I make a huge mess and sometimes mess up what I am making. Today was a good example of that day. I started off w/ the idea of making a carmel apple cake. I started reading over the recipe only to realized I wrote that I needed butter but not how much. This came from a recipe I copied somwhere so no way to check. I googled it and dind't see somethign similar so i went to my back up Gooseberry Patch Country Baking cookbook. There were 2 different Apple cakes so I finally decided on which one. Apple-Oatmeal Coffee Cakes. Started measuring out ingredents and realized I dumped in double the amount of cinnamon I needed. Oops started to pull some out off the top of the flour. Looked at my recipe to see the next ing. to see that Iwas looking at the one for Walnut pumpkin bread. Oops again. I compaired the 2 and saw I also put in too much allspice. Pulled some of that out also. Thankfully I caught it before I use something else I should not have and had to start over. This time I covered up the wrong recipe so I wouldn't do that again. Baked them in 2 mini bundt pans and in a pan that makes 4 mini jack-o-lanterns cakes. you don't see the faces in the cake but I wanted mini loafs b/c if I liked it I will make more for the teachers w/ the candy corn dishrags. I am still looking for a mini loaf baking pan. Well they turned out wonderful!! I am going to make these again. Soon... Here is the recipe.

Apple-Oatmeal Coffee Cake
1C flour
3/4t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t both allspice and cinnamon
1c sugar
1c quick cooking oats
1/2c oil
1 egg
1t vanilla
1c apples cored and chopped (I used granny smith)
1/3c nuts chopped (i used walnuts)

Mix tog. dry ing. Add remaining ing. Mix will be think. pour into greased 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 for 35 min.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have mixed up ingredients between two recipes so many times. I do the same thing - cover the other recipe.

Shannon said...

Glad to know I am not the only one.The fact that they were similar spices saved me I think.