Saturday, July 9, 2011

Gifts in a Jar

So who makes/gives/gets gifts in a jar? I think they are cute ideas but have not ever given them. I found this today (in the Gooseberry Patch Christmas 12 book) and am considering it for gifts this year. I can start now looking at thrift stores/clearance/yard sales for some jars to make this. It seems like it would be easy to make a lot of batches and be low in cost.

**Savory Rice Mix**
4c long cooking rice, uncooked
1/4c dried, minced onion
1 env from a 2 oz pakg onion soup mix
1T dried parsley
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp salt.

Combine all ing;store in an airtight container for up to 4 months. Makes 4 cups

cooking Instructions:
mix one cup mix w/ 2 c beef broth (I am sure you can use water, chicken or vegetable stock as well) in 2 qt. saucepan, add 1T butter. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed about 20 -25 min. makes 4 servings.

Oh in a previous post I said I had on my Christmas earring. Sever asked what they were. They were little mittens but now I have on Christmas trees.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

This is one Gift in a Jar I would love to receive. I'm not that crazy about the soup mixes or the cookie/cake versions but who can't use a rice dish? Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I have never given gifts in a jar either, but I sure love this idea.